Thursday, September 13, 2007

Selling horses

I am to a point where I absolutely hate selling horses. There are buyers who think they can buy your horse, use it to no end, then threaten you to buy it back. Here is the story. 2 months ago my sister sold her favorite grey mare. This is a mare that my 7 year old niece rode and both of my novice boys have ridden. While she had her foal at her side sister would hop on her and ride her halterless and bareback around the pasture. Now her background was she has been known to be cold backed, but has not bucked in a year. She was laid off for quite a while while she had her foal, then was back to being ridden when the foal was 2 months old. At this point she did not buck at all, which was expected. So sister sells this mare to a man in Northern/Central CA. She even delivered her. Darcy did tell him her history of being cold backed, but has not had a problem recently. And told him about her step-daughter riding her and nephews. He calls her last weekend and leaves a message that she has to come buy this horse back, she has bucked every single time they have ridden her. He at first thought maybe she has sat too long, so sends her to some Miss CA Rodeo 1995 chick and she continues to buck everyday. So he says. Calls back a little while later and gives her the address where the horse is, like she can drop everything and drive 6 hours to pick up a horse that was sold 2 months ago. Then sometime this week he calls her again and leaves another message, telling her he just re-read the sales contract and he does not care what it says if she does not come get the horse she will be hearing from his lawyer. Now the contract states something about buyer and seller agree horse is sound and there are no refunds for any reason. The hardest part about this is Darcy would drop everything and buy her back if she had the money. The mare is in foal to a buckskin QH for next year, and Darcy absolutely loves this mare but really needs to sell some horses.
I know I sure do not want anything to come back on me as I am brutally honest about horses I sell, and sometimes it has been known to cost me a sale. My sister is the same way. She has a horse out right now with someone who was trying out a horse of hers, and he finally decided he was not gonna buy her but really thinks he can sell her. So he tells Darcy I have been riding this horse everyday and she has not taken a lame step, I would not mention the injury. Darcy tells him if you want to sell her and not mention it that is up to you, but my name is left out of it, I feel I need to let a potential owner know about her injury. I have started a file where I keep every email ever written about the sold horse just in case someone wants to say that I did not tell them about something.

But why do people think they can bully girls around and threaten them like this? Does it really make them feel better? The fact that he can not ride a horse that a 7 year old girl can ride just may make him feel pretty little himself, so he needs to bring someone else down with him.

I am so tired of crappy people.

5 comments:

Desiree Thomas said...

Me Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elly'sMom said...

I'm right there with you on that one.... I hate selling horses.

Lazy A Ranch said...

She needs to tell the man he bought her 2 months ago, she does not own her anymore. If he wants to give her back for free then haul her up, otherwise he needs to deal with his problem.

Paige said...

That is a fact. He owns her and if he does not want to own her, he can sell her like the rest of the world does.

I too HATE selling horses

Unknown said...

Oyyy I haven't sold all that many horses in my life but the ones I have, I hated every min of it.