Friday, September 7, 2007

Going back a step

Since I have not had time to spend with the horses since Wednesday, I thought it would be a good time to take a step back and tell you a little about the horse that drove me to start a blog. I was suppose to go to Montana with my sister and some friends the end of August, but before I left I had decided that I really wanted this little filly that happen to be in Nebraska. I was going over ways to get her here to CA. When I finally started talking to my husband about it he offered to give up his weekend of backpacking with the husbands from a group we belong to, in order to drive me to NE. I was shocked, but I guess I really should not have been. He is good to me. Cricket is a great granddaughter of Hollywood Dunnit and Shinning Spark. Then one more generation back is Zan Parr Bar. This filly should rein. Yes those names are back a ways, but her sire, and grandsire on both sides, have show records. And now the sire has a son showing and doing well. She is loaded with potential. She was weaned at 3 months and began halter breaking. She had to have a trailer loading and traveling lesson also in order to get her health cert and coggins. So of course being a horse, she banged her leg and head in the trailer. No big deal, but you know how horses are. She did get a clean bill of health and had a mini pre-purchase exam. About a week later the breeder noticed that her head was a little larger, so back in the trailer she went and back to visit the vet. She needed to have the wound lanced because a little abscess formed from the trauma. Again vet said this is nothing that should jepordize her being able to travel to CA. The good side of this is she got more handling and she was able to get some antibiotics into her system before the long haul home. So many times horses stress on a long trip like that and get to their destination and get sick. So now she needed to be treated everyday. She did not like her antibiotics, but she was good to treat.

So on Aug 30 Frank and I left our home at 5 a.m. Our first stop was in Salt Lake City, Utah. Then next morning we got up and headed for NE. We could have been there around 4:30 that afternoon, but then I felt I would have been rushed to see all the horses. So we called Desiree, the breeder, and made arrangements to meet the next morning. So now we had time to play and spent the last 15 minutes of store hours at Cabela's. What an amazing store. Also went to some western stores, one clothing and one tack and western furniture. So finally Sunday morning we make it to Desiree's. Both Desiree and her husband were out waiting for us. The men stood around and chatted while Desiree and I went around the place meeting everyone. It was kinda funny finally meeting the horses that I have seen so much in pictures. Many of them I know from the pictures. I even knew who belonged to which mare. Oh and the two mini's, they are so stunkin' cute. Midnights pictures do not show his short little legs. He is so comical. He has these stubs called legs. I was teasing my husband that Midnight was by Cricket's dad, Bucky. Telling him he was the one with the show points, giving Mooneys stats to Midnight. Of course he did not fall for it. But then again I also had showed him pictures of Mooney before anyway. So we load Cricket up, who jumps in the trailer like a pro, say our goodbyes, and head back out to the road. As we were diving down the road just about to leave NE, I spot a storm up ahead. I tried to get a few pictures of the storm. Sure enough we head right into it. It lasted for a little while, but it was all good. That night we made it back to Rock Springs WY. Right next to our hotel was a Drive-In Liquor Store. This just did not seem right to me. Oh yeah and in Utah there was a huge store that on the front in huge letters said "Liquor Fireworks". Another good combination. On Monday we make it to Nevada. So finally we make it home Tuesday afternoon. I unloaded Cricket, who backed out like a big girl, and put her in her new stall. I really expected her to run and stretch a little but she did not. She was so calm and collected. Just as I put her away the bus pulls into the driveway and my boys are home. All I get from them is, "Can I go in the house and do my homework?" Geeze what a welcome. They would rather do homework then say hi to mom and dad. So Cricket is settling down quite nicely and will probably be moved into the barn soon.

I get to show her off again tomorrow to a few people. My sister is finally coming to see her. And then in the afternoon a friend of mine who has my Doc's Jack Frost daughter is coming to see Cricket. So this will be fun showing her off again. I am very proud of my new little girl.

Storm in Wyoming



























3 comments:

Desiree Thomas said...

Funny you've never seen a drive in Liquor store they are all over here LOL.. And neat pictures to.. I like trips like that with hubby they are good and you guys lucked out going no kiddies bet that was a little vacation in its self.. We love our kids take them every where, but every couple needs that alone time to so glad he could take you. Now I need to get mine to take me away LOL..

Elly'sMom said...

Besides the storm it sounds like you had a nice trip. A LOT of driving though. No time to sit still huh? I hope your visit with your sister goes well. Things like that are never fun, nor easy.

I bet everyone will adore Cricket just as you do.

Paige said...

Is that why you posted that pic--you dont have drive thru liquor stores?

We always get shocked reactions from Chicago people when they come here and see those too. Cracks me up---the things they miss up there!

I lvoe yoru Cricket stories

I hope your sister gets herself together--nothign wrong with thinking a husband should work, of course, but that she is withdrawing from people is not good.