Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Expecting next year

Well I am expecting 3 foals next year. May only get 2. The first two are bred to sister's smokey grulla tobiano, Lil Bit. He is tested homozygous for black. Mare one is a grulla tobiano, so her foal will be black. Then add any of the following modifiers, dun (making a grulla), creme (making a smokey black or smokey grulla), and tobiano (possibly even homozygous). The other is a bay tobiano. Her possibilities are bay, dun, buckskin/dunskin, slight chance of grulla or smokey black. She has never been tested, but I suspect her to be homozygous Agouti, so that is why I say slight chance of grulla/smokey black. Her baby is the one that is like waiting for Christmas day. So many options. Also adding, on the tobiano. If the grulla mare has a homozygous tobiano filly I plan on keeping that one for my paint. I will sell all other paints. The bay mare is for sale and really would like to sell her before she foals since that is her only real selling point.
The other mare I am not sure what I am going to do with. She is the crippled sorrel overo. She is in foal (? to be rechecked soon) to a perlino QH. The sire of the two palominos I had/have. I only have one now. Her leg looks to be getting worse and I am really worried about her being able to get around, and even lay down to deliver. It looks like it is about to snap at the hock. I may have a vet look at her, maybe x-ray, and give me her opinion. If she thinks it seems to be as bad as it looks I will put her down. If she has already lost the foal I will put her down. I gave her a chance at life and if she can not handle it then the fair thing to do is let her go. She is so young, but crippled.

This is a VERY dirty picture of JB the stud. That is my hand on his nose, we were trying to get pictures but he just wanted some scratching. He was in a huge pasture and was following me around.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

@Kaycie, I love your stud and your mares. It's such a shame that sorrel paint mare is crippled like that.

Paige said...

Ouch that poor mare--does it hurt her? Do you know what happened to her?

That really sucks--good luck getting a solid prognosis on her