Sunday, March 23, 2008

I am SICK of waiting

Have I told you how tired I am of waiting on this mare to foal? She is one year and one day today. She is a maiden mare so no telling what she is gonna do. She does not have much of a bag, but her vulva is pretty darn relaxed. I am so stressed over this mare and she just makes me wait longer. I am gonna go squeeze it out of her. She is not even at my house and I still can not stand it. My horses have to foal out at mom's because my dogs are not nice to baby horses. Heck they are not nice to the big horses, but at least they are big enough to fend for themselves. My other two are not due for another 5 and a half weeks, and they look more ready then this mare, but they are seasoned mares. They so know the routine. My first mare is definitely in foal as I had her checked in OCT, and she has a big ol' belly. She really does look horrible. It is embarrassing.

Then while we are loving our CA weather, we got a taste of the bad things that come with it. We had our first rattlesnake this evening. We have lived here 6 years and this is our 3rd one, so not too bad. Toby was just yapping in the yard and would not stop. This is not like him so I finally got up to see what the problem was and he came in. I went outside and was sure I heard a pissed off rattlesnake and told my husband so. He said no all I hear are crickets. I was not convinced it was just crickets. Just as I went to step off the porch I shinned the flashlight right in front of me and just about 3 feet in front of me was a tiny rattler. And yep sure was pissed off. Toby was keeping it away from the house. So Frank ran in the house and grabbed his little hand gun that had bird shot in it and got to shoot the little bugger. This is the first snake that he got to shoot. The first two were on cement and one was right up against the gas line. So he was glad he got to finally shoot one. So now I keep harassing him and telling him don't tell me I don't know what a snake sounds like. Glad I was so sure there was one out there because it could have gotten one of the boys on another day.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Are you having bad dreams about foaling yet? LAst night, i dreamt that several of my mares were running around on trampolines that were kind of tall...as they bounced with each step, they spurted milk out. They were not even due yet, so I knew that was wrong

I woke up all upset about Gyspy foaling too early.